2018-12-31 [Stephen]: I've deleted all the comments from this page.
I'm going to make a few ground rules clear - the Council page's comments are designed for members to get in touch with the Council as a whole, ask questions, or for Council members to interact in a friendly way with one another and other members.
Reporting people should be done via a report, some casual chatting is fine, but don't overdo it. We're aware Fake is dead/dying/rot
Don't argue or harass one another here. You can argue in PMs, don't harass anyone anywhere.
Questions about Fake are strongly encouraged to be posted here, and hopefully we can keep this page clear and neat to ensure the most effective communication. =)
Comments that aren't official in nature / directly related to the content on this page will be pruned from time to time. It's nothing personal, just helps prevent derailing conversations.
2019-01-16 [Hardee Har har]: So I saw the front page, and as I've probably been here under one user name or another as long as any of you, here's what I personally think needs to happen. These are all very basic suggestions I've made countless times, and if you're genuinely serious about helping FAKE, I'd love to discuss these further:
1. Fake needs literally any kind of social media presence at all. I know at one point there was a FB page someone had, but I've no idea what happened to it. So we need to start with that. I personally suggest Twitter for entering into Kink community conversations. It's the easiest way to network quickly and efficiently with content producers and interested parties. A FB page could work, but their TOS have changed recently, and that might be a bad idea. Pillowfort.io is also an option, one that's risen to popularity in the wake of Tumblr's downfall.
2. Fake desperately needs a UI overhaul. To be blunt the entire site is incredibly ugly. Yes, it's simple, and simple is good. But not to the point of turning people away.
3. You need to make user customization idiot proof. Users also need a more nuanced gallery for their photos, and the option to create multiple albums (not wiki pages). I can't tell you how many times over the years I've had to answer basic upload questions for people.
4. The staff has been more active here in the last few months than they have been since FAKE initially premiered almost a decade ago. Good. You need to have that level of activity every single day or hand your duties off to someone that can manage for you. It's incredibly disheartening to see an inactive admin staff, and likewise when issues arise, there should be immediate action or same-day response. To my knowledge this hasn't been an issue-but if there's nobody at the helm (much more, if people don't genuinely know WHO is a mod)? It's a bad look that's caused by simple laziness.
Logging in for 15 minutes a day is literally nothing.
5. Literally any possible way of validating that members are of age would be great. I list this one last because I know it's virtually impossible and as nothing has ever really been done towards it (save banning underage members when they inevitably pop up), but a simple fix would be charging a $5 dollar one-time fee to join. Grandfather in current members, and make that the bar of entry going forward. It wouldn't cut off underage members entirely, but it would be a barrier for the majority of underage members while simultaneously generating revenue for the site. It's a crazy ass idea and I can already hear you all rolling your eyes, but it's a thought. There's no reason this can't be implemented and there's no reason NOT to do it.
6. Speaking of which, generating revenue would be a good idea. Ko-fi, Patreon and others are options. They're worth looking into. And before you star wringing your hands about NSFW content producers on those platforms, I produce NSFW content and use both. You're going to be safe.
That's as much as I can currently think of. You wanted a dialogue and suggestions-so let's talk.
2019-01-16 [Stephen]: [Hardee Har har] -
You're right about a social media influence, and Twitter is a good one to go with. Getting an official Twitter set up and going for Fake is something I'll talk with the other people on the Council about and see who's interested in handling that.
Fake DOES need a UI overhaul, pretty much everyone agrees on that. However, there's not much we can do. If we had someone around who knew who to do .css editing we could make it look better, but it would still be dated. Even then, I would have to essentially abuse my power to get a .css update spread out...
What do you mean customization idiot proof? There isn't much customization that I'm aware of.
The index system is kind of a giant spaghetti monster of spiderwebs. =|
It's almost better to just use a normal wikipage. Giving all members the ability to upload images directly to wikipages might sort of help with that? We'd need to discuss that a bit more to make any grounds.
Redesigning the Crew and Staff system to be more user friendly and easy to understand is something that can be done. Prompting volunteer Crew to spend decent energy on this is a bit more difficult. We'd need more Crew, but right now there isn't even a large pool of people looking to be on the Crew.
I understand the desire to keep out minors - but really, even sites like pornhub don't bother trying to keep out minors anymore. I'm not even sure they make you say you're over 18.
Maybe if Fake ended up popular enough to sustain itself it could be possible to try to implement something like that, but right now it could do more damage to add another block on how to be active here.
Revenue would be amazing. Once again though, that's probably something for when the memberbase is somewhat higher, and when we can realistically figure out some kind of reward system for it.
2019-01-17 [Hardee Har har]: Stephen-
Honestly I was not expecting a response, much less one that was as respectful as that. This is probably the first time in my decade (d e a r god) that I've been here I've had a productive conversation with a Mod.
Thank you for being civil. It truly means a lot.
If you're going to progress forward with social media, Twitter is a great start for getting a foothold. It's going to take a lot of work to organically grow though. There's several options there as well-I would personally go with some draw for FAKE other than it being a "chat" website. Ironically however, that might appeal to a large niche of people. And Niches seem to be where a lot of people turn for kink related content, at least in my experience (I write erotica and do erotic voice work on commission).
If you're willing to consider it (or if the server can handle it), any kind of multimedia content (YT plugins, Soundcloud) would go a long way towards getting people to WANT to come here. There's a huge swatch of people in the kink community that engage through content only, and silently enjoy creator's work. Those people also very frequently share the work of those they enjoy-and sometimes toss money their way.
It's something I personally would heavily consider. I'm unsure what FAKE could offer (my hands are tied with my own endeavors), but there are a few talented people left. It's worth a shot to see if anyone would be interested.
2019-01-17 [Hardee Har har]: Okkkkay, so the page just shit the bed and ate my post, but here you go:
Stephen, I will happily work in an advisory role if you'd like. I know how to turn websites like fake around. It's a lot of work, but if you've someone dedicated and willing to do the legwork, I absolutely don't mind helping. I have always firmly held the belief that this site has an audience. It just needs some help.
Likewise, I would heavily consider multi-platform simul-uploads to social media, and using those mediums as intended. Twitter and Curious Cat are for "conversation"
2019-01-17 [Tr!X*]: *insert enthusiastic reply to stephan and hardee* just tell me when you need boobies ;) they 100% help with advertising! (Or anything else i can do that is mildly constructive)
2019-01-18 [Stephen]: [Hardee Har har] -
Heh, sorry to hear you've been on Fake for a decade before you feel as though something you said was taken seriously. Fake was designed to be.. not serious to begin with, and it's not a thought process that's easily shaken off.
If you want to work in an advisory role, Fake honestly could use it. That would be fantastic, and you've been here long enough to be established. I'd much rather get core members involved in this than offsite people, at least when it comes to the first group.
There's a LOT we can't do when it comes to changing the site itself. I can go over the exacts with you on PM (or forum). However, there's also a lot we can do, so it really depends on what is needed overall.
2019-01-18 [Stephen]: Condensed all the various staff and titles pages to this page. Any opinions on it would be awesome!
2019-01-18 [Tr!X*]: i second hardee on side would be amazing<3
2019-01-28 [Hardee Har har]: Sorry for the late reply-was busy with actual work and my sex work I do.
So! Stephen I'd be happy to help. If you want to send me a message with any weak spots you want my thoughts on, I'll get back to you ASAP.
2019-02-02 [Stephen]: I'd like to welcome and present our newest Council member, [Sammie h]!
Sammie is planning on helping to focus efforts on member retention and has skill in .css redesign, which we hope she can use to make Fake a bit more.. sexy.
PS: Once again, cleared out chatter. Nothing personal, just trying to make sure the important comments aren't pushed back and derailed.
Update Feb 5 @ 04:14:59 -
Wiki-comments are deleted again. Same reason. Also, there are no teams. The Crew is not a schoolyard. I understand that the comment was made in jest, but it's an important subject to mention seeing as it's a common thought;
We, the Crew, work together as a whole. We are all a team. We have a hierarchy that can be seen above, but overall we are a team that weighs thoughts and opinions as equal.
2019-02-02 [The Obsidian Knight]: Um excuse me but a wiki of the history of fake would be interesting
2019-02-09 [Hardee Har har]: Stephen, still waiting on that message. I'm willing to help, but communication works both ways.
2019-02-11 [Stephen]: I thought I had sent a message to you. o.o
I did send you a message, ten days ago. xD Check your inbox.
2019-02-11 [Sammie h]: lol, I have yet to receive my follow up message to. :o
2019-02-13 [Magara-Lady of the Ravens]: So why are you the only council ppl talking . there are others I thought?WeLL one more i think. its nice to see you guys do care . at least most of you.
2019-02-18 [Stephen]: Eh, it depends on the person. Everyone on the Council is at least interested in Fake doing better, that's true.
Some members are busy IRL, and some just aren't great at the social side of things.
There isn't really a reason for more than two or three Council members to respond to a single conversation thread unless they have some kind of unique input. :)
2019-02-18 [NerdyGothCurves]: Im usually on every day but if there is no need for an input in a thread, i won't.
2019-02-19 [Mistress Dark Jade of the Obsidian Rose]: Ok there is an unclaimed country called the principality of sealand. yes this is real. you should buy it and call itsoverentee of fake. its about 7.5 miles of suffex in england. look it up in wikipedia. Trix you are the closset council member. you could move there and run it. Hedda could own his own his own country. you could his lord honorable stephan,. and as trix and nik are supreme baron and baroness of fake.katya has her title and sammie could be her ladyship sammie .